button googleplaybutton appstorebutton blackberry

 

facebooktwitter2linkedinyoutube

 

Broadcast

Indian TV and advertising bodies combine for research board

India is to have a new Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC), following a tie up between the Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF), the Indian Society of Advertisers (ISA) and the Advertising Agencies Association of India (AAAI).

The IBF will hold a 60% stake in the new venture, while ISA and AAAI will share the remaining 40%, the founders disclosed at Mumbai's FICCI Frames 2012 on 14 March.

"We are not a research agency, and we are not going to compete with TAM. Instead, BARC is a joint body, which will evaluate all the research needs of the industry and in a commercially sensible manner," said Paritosh Joshi, chief executive, Star CJ.

BARC will be similar to the UK's Broadcasters' Audience Research Board, commissioning independent specialist research vendors rather than conducting audience measurement itself.

"We are always looking for robust research in this rapidly changing television landscape. With time, it is going to be more challenging and you will need more insights from research. We have been working together since some time to launch BARC," said Paulomi Dhawan, managing director, Landmarc Leisure Corporation.

Bharat Patel, chairman, ISA added: "ISA is extremely delighted to be a part of this joint industry body, BARC, along with the IBF and AAAI to provide continued and meaningful research."

The body was originally conceived in 2008 by the IBF and ISA. It has now been expanded to include the AAAI. The council's board will have ten members; six from the IBF and two each from the ISA and AAI.

Post your comments

    Most read news

    • Last 7 days
    • Last 30 days
    • Always
    Subhash Chandra, the chairman of Dish TV's parent company Essel Group, is looking to work with UAE authorities to stop residents...
    India's Information and Broadcasting ministry has asked the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) to come up with measures to...
    Indian direct to home (DTH) satellite TV operator Videocon d2h is adding Zee TV's high definition (HD) entertainment channel to its...
    A device to inject new life into the tablet industry in India has been launched by the Indian government at a subsidised price of just...
    Pay-TV channels are to be added to Arasu Cable TV’s free to air package, which was re-launched by Tamil Nadu Government earlier this...
    India's 9X Media is to launch a new 24 hour Marathi music channel called 9X Jhakaas on 31 October, in what is set to be the first of...

    etg120x60fbtv120x60fbt120x60pp120x60pp120x60